Friday, May 13, 2011

The Home Farm

             So I would like to change things up a bit from the last several blogs I have done. The past blogs focused on different types of animal rights activist groups that try everything they can to save animals from murder and abuse. I obviously feel different about this as explained before but I still have some beliefs that coincide with their feelings. I feel that commercial farming is mostly the reason for animal rights groups to grow into organizations that mass to fight for animal rights. The commercial farming industry is one where the groups get their firepower to support their cause.
            The reason that I say this is because most of the horrific pictures and videos that you see up on PETA’s website  are ones from commercial farming operations in which sick and dying animals are videotaped to show the worst of the worst conditions at the farm. I know that there are some farms that do not take care of their animals because they just seem not to care but in reality most family farms actually do take care of the animals because they want to produce the most amount of meat, milk, or eggs as possible for the lowest cost. That is the reason I would be more likely to say no to a commercial farming business coming into my town. I am for the local family farm operations where the business owners have more of a deeply vested interest in their animals then some big CEO that doesn’t know squat about what is happening or care what is happening within his business.
            I have grown up where my sister was in Future Farmers of America or FFA for three years of high school and my girlfriend was in 4H for 10 years of her life. I have been around and helped raise pigs, sheep, goats, cows, and chickens both for show and the home freezer. If you are wondering yes I did help slaughter and butcher the meat. I saw the whole stage from small piglets and chicks to sausage and chicken on the dinner table. I have to say a home grown animal tastes so much better then store bought meat. There are many reasons why, one is every day I get to see what I am feeding the animals and I get to raise them the way I feel will produce the best meat to eat. I never have a middle person that raises the animals and pumps them full of antibiotics that may be necessary only for farms with a lot of animals to help stop the spread of diseases throughout the heard. I also never used genetic modifying try and alter the weight of the animal to make the most money possible out of the weight of the meat. I do however feed the animals food that would enhance their meat for taste and sometimes would have to slim them down so that they fit the right criteria for the best fat content in the meat. So you can basically think of it like a normal human diet. If you want to lose weight then you can work out and change your diet to get the results that you want. This is the same for meat producing animals. So I am against genetically modifying animals for profit gain.. That is a very lame and cruel practice that big corporate owned companies make money off of pumping their animals full of fluids so that they can make more profit on essentially salt water. This is done most notably in chickens and turkeys.
            I do have to say that my preferred practice of raising my own animals is still against the animal rights activists since I am killing the animal  but people have been eating meat for so many centuries that there is no way they can possibly stop people from consuming meat. I have eaten meat all my life and even though there are multiple statistics out there to show that meats can possibly be more harmful then good for your longevity I will still not stop because I love the taste of a juicy barbeque tri-tip way too much and I would rather cut some years off my life instead of becoming a vegetarian. I do have several personal experiences with some friends and family members being vegetarian but I will give you the worst one so far. The personal experience that I want to share is one of my cousins who is an animal rights extremist that decided to be a vegan which means he did consume any animal based products at all.  He lost weight and a lot of it. He looked like a twig with skin wrapped around it and he started having health problems because his body was not getting the right nutrients needed to function properly. He ended up going to the doctor and the doctor prescribed eating eggs and other sources of protein rich meat such as chicken to help him get back the nutrients lost. So much for being a vegan, he is now just a vegetarian but still looks unhealthy and has not put on much weight since. With that example I am not saying that being a vegan to try and save animals is a bad thing or cannot be done, I am stating that to do it because you want to feel included in some protest that you sort of believe in is not the right thing to do. There are other ways you can help save animals like joining a humane society to find animals new homes or get a job at a SPCA or Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. SPCA’s go after people that are cruel to animals and LEGALLY find them to arrest or cite them through legal processes not through some crazy persons idea to try and destroy a company by committing illegal acts that will get you put in jail instead of the person actually committing the so called crime.  
            The moral to this blog is that even though animal rights activists groups are necessary to uncover some wrong doing in different companies that abuse their animals, the tactics that they deploy to try and bring attention to their cause and harm to the industry is just morally wrong. Committing illegal acts should never be supported in any circumstance. They are criminals and should be punished for what they do to these companies. If it is PETA throwing red paint on someone’s fur coat,  Captain Paul Watson ordering someone to throw stink bombs onto another ship’s deck, or an ALF member torching a delivery truck just to make a statement of stop killing animals; these people need to be taught the lesson of the law and be harshly punished for what they do. If they spend enough time in prison they will stop. I have no problem with people that want to support animal rights but please do it in a legal fashion because if I had my way the people committing these crimes for animals they would be sent to prison for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment